Got a question?
Impression taking for Dental Nurses
The impression taking course provides dental nurses with the knowledge and skills they need to take impressions under the prescription of a dentist or clinical dental technician, benefiting both the practice and the learners. The course comprises a one-day workshop followed by a portfolio of impressions to be completed under supervision in the practice.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the theory behind impression taking and the materials used and become competent in taking different types of dental impressions on patients under the prescription of a dentist.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of dental impression materials
- Select the appropriate impression material and impression tray for a range of patients
- Demonstrate competency in safety and effectively taking dental impressions under the prescription of a dentist
- Recognise GDC scope of practice regarding informed consent
- Demonstrate good infection control whilst taking dental impressions
Level 3 Diploma in dental Nursing
All practising Dental Nurses must be registered with the General Dental Council and obtain an approved qualification, such as this Level 3 Diploma. The Diploma can be completed as part of an apprenticeship or as a standalone qualification. It is delivered through a combination of training, classroom-based lessons at one of our centres across the Midlands, self-study and activities in the workplace.
Topics covered include:
- Firs Aid essentials
- Reducing risks to health and safety in the dental setting
- The roles and responsibilities of a dental nurse
- Preparing and maintaining environment, instruments, and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- Providing chairside support for a range of activities
- Contributing to the production of dental images
- Providing information and support to patients on the protection of their oral health
- Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- Dental radiography