This standard has been designed and agreed by employers from across the retail industry who sell a wide range of different products. People looking to complete the retailer standard should be in a role which involves assisting customers, understanding their stock and processing payment. They should enjoy contact with a wide range of people and be passionate about offering a high level of service.
The standard is suitable for people working in a range of shops and other retail establishments. These could be small boutiques, large high street chains and supermarkets, as well as more specialist businesses such as funeral services and garden centres. The apprenticeship can also be completed by people who work in telephone, on-line and mail order retail.
- Each apprentice will be allocated a training adviser who will visit them in the workplace on a monthly basis to provide training and support and monitor their progress and the training they are receiving from the employer.
- The employer will be invited to regular progress reviews.
- End point assessment should only commence once the apprentice has developed all the knowledge, skills and behaviours defined in the apprenticeship standard.
- To help determine whether the apprentice is ready for end point assessment a meeting will take place involving the apprentice’s line manager, their training adviser and any other appropriate managers from the employer. Apprentices must achieve a level 1 qualification and attempted level 2 in English and maths before being entered for their final apprenticeship assessment.
End Point Assessment
- 30 minute multiple choice test
- Two hour on the job work observation
- One hour professional discussion focusing on how they have performed during the apprenticeship and their overall achievement of the knowledge, skills and behaviours in the standard. The apprentice’s manager should be present at the professional discussion.
- The apprentice can be awarded a pass or distinction.
Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their apprenticeships. Click here to view our latest apprentice job vacancies.
Possible progression to Retail Team Leader and Retail Manager apprenticeships or general Team Leader/Supervisor apprenticeship. There may also be the opportunity for promotion to more senior roles.