The Impression Taking Course for Dental Nurses is aimed at Registered Dental Nurses who aspire to treat patients directly and take impressions under the prescription of a registered dentist or clinical dental technician.
The course provides an understanding of the theory behind impression taking and the materials used and enables delegates to be competent in taking different types of dental impressions on patients under the prescription of a dentist.
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge of Dental Impression Materials
- Select the appropriate impression material and Impression Tray for a range of Patients
- Demonstrate competency in safely and effectively taking dental impressions under the prescription of a Dentist.
- Recognize GDC Scope of practice regarding Informed Consent
- Demonstrate good infection control whilst taking dental impressions.
Record of Experience
To complete the Record of Experience delegates will need a GDC registered Dentist to act as your mentor. They will be required to write comments and sign relating to your ability when taking impressions. On completion you will post the portfolio to Performance Through People where it will then be assessed and on successful completion will receive a certificate for your participation in the course.
GDC Scope of Practice states Additional skills can be carried out under prescription of a dentist which includes the taking of impressions. It states that a dental Nurse can do this only if they are confident and competent to do so with the correct indemnity insurance.
Delegates will be issued with documents to complete to record their experience of impression taking in their dental practice.
- One day course
- 7 Hours Verifiable CPD
- Portfolio of 20 impressions Mentor to supervise (GDC Registered Dentist)
- Impressions – 5 Children, 5 Adults, 5 Elderly, 5 Silicone
Brilliant teacher, explained in detail everything I need to understand how to take impressions correctly.
- Delegates must be a GDC Registered Dental Nurse
- Hold Indemnity insurance with additional duties (by the end of the course)
- Be able to complete all parts of the course
- Have access to a GDC registered dentist to act as mentor for practical portfolio
- Hold up to date First Aid training
- Be employed in a Dental Practice