This apprenticeship is suitable for people working in roles such as Assistant Accountant, Trainee Accounting Technician, Accounts Clerk, Cashier, Finance Assistant, Purchase Ledger Clerk or Sales Ledger Clerk. They may be working as an assistant accountant within practice or alternatively within the finance function of an organisation. Part of their role will involve assisting in the day to day financial activities such as data entry to month end management accounts and/or year-end financial statements. They may also be involved in regulatory financial requirements, such as the completion of VAT returns or assisting in the preparation of tax computations.
- Each apprentice will be allocated a training adviser who will visit them in the workplace to provide training and support and monitor their progress and the training they are receiving from the employer.
- The employer will be invited to regular progress reviews.
- Full day classroom sessions once a week for the duration of the apprenticeship.
- Apprentices will complete the AAT level 3 Diploma in Accounting to ensure they have appropriate knowledge.
- The end point assessment should only commence once the apprentice has developed all the knowledge, skills and behaviours in the standard.
- To help determine whether the apprentice is ready for end point assessment a meeting will take place involving the apprentice’s line manager, their training adviser and any other appropriate managers from the employer.
- Apprentices must have achieved a level 2 qualification in English and maths before being entered for their final apprenticeship assessment.
- They should also have completed the level 3 Diploma.
End Point Assessment
- Three hour synoptic end-test, covering the knowledge and skills gained throughout the apprenticeship.
- Portfolio and reflective discussion. The employer can choose to be present at the discussion.
- The apprentice can be awarded a pass or distinction.
Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their apprenticeships – these will typically include 5 GCSEs at C/4 or above or equivalent though some companies may choose to accept relevant experience or level 2 qualifications. Click here to view our latest apprentice job vacancies.
This standard provides the foundation for progression into a number of career paths including Audit Trainee, Corporate Recovery Analyst, Credit Controller or Tax Accountant. Higher level finance apprenticeships are also available.