As the end of the school year approaches you may be find yourself attending job interviews for the first time. Below is our advice to ensure you make an impression for the right reasons!
- Be prepared: Research the company who are interviewing you using their website and social media pages – What do they do? What are their values? Where does the person interviewing you fit into the company?
- Arrive on time for the interview. Check that you know exactly where the interview venue is and who to ask for when you get there. If you are using public transport research your route in advance and allow extra time in case of delays or cancelled services. You should make every effort to ensure you arrive on time, however if extreme circumstances mean you will be late then please let the company know so that the interviewer is kept informed.
- Dress in smart clothes to create the best first impression. Check your outfit is clean and ironed in advance to avoid last minute problems on the day.
- During the interview be polite and friendly. It is good to make eye contact with the person interviewing you. You should be positive and enthusiastic about why you feel this opportunity is the right one for you.
- Many people get nervous when being interviewed. If you feel your nerves are getting the better of you, take a couple of deep breaths or pause for a sip of water. If you are unsure what a question means it is fine to ask the interviewer to explain more fully.