The origins of Performance Through People (PTP) began in the 1970s when the then Walsall Chamber of Commerce received requests from its members for support in training and development, primarily for the engineering and manufacturing industry.
- A large engineering centre in Sandwell was opened to meet these demands. Further expansion followed, delivering training in a range of occupational areas throughout the wider Black Country.
- In 1995 PTP formed into a separate division within the re-organised East Mercia Chamber of Commerce (Walsall, Cannock, Lichfield, Tamworth and Burton), which enabled further expansion within Staffordshire, North and South. New centres also opened in Dudley and Wolverhampton in line with our Black Country expansion.
- With the introduction of the Black Country Learning & Skills Council, the Chamber followed suit; breaking up East Mercia Chamber so Walsall could join the Black Country Chamber along with Wolverhampton, Sandwell, and Dudley Chambers, and a new South Staffordshire Chamber was formed looking after Southern Staffordshire’s member’s needs. From this change, a new holding company was formed called EMCCI of which PTP was a major part.
- In 2003 PTP Training Ltd, known as Performance Through People, was formed into a separate trading company, as a wholly owned subsidiary of EMCCI, a trust managed by trustees of Walsall and Southern Staffordshire Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2009 Southern Staffordshire Chamber of Commerce’s shareholding was bought out by Walsall Chamber of Commerce.
- PTP is now one of the leading training providers in the Midlands and has five centres throughout Birmingham, Black Country and Staffordshire, delivers throughout the country and has over 100 employees.
- PTP is very proud of its history and connection to the Chamber of Commerce, with three Board members being past presidents of Walsall Chamber of Commerce.