This apprenticeship is suitable for people working as dental nurses providing chair side support to dental professionals and delivering patient care. Dental Nurses may work in a variety of clinical environments and the apprenticeship reflects all aspects of clinical responsibilities and duties. Dental Nurses are registered professionals and work within the standards and scope of practice defined by the GDC.
- Each apprentice will be allocated a training adviser who will visit them in the workplace on a monthly basis to provide training and support and monitor their progress and the training they are receiving from the employer. The employer will be invited to regular progress reviews.
- Weekly half day classes at one of our training centres for 12 months of the apprenticeship.
- As part of the apprenticeship they will complete a level 3 dental nursing qualification.
- The end point assessment should only commence once the apprentice has developed all the knowledge, skills and behaviours defined in the standard.
- To help determine whether the apprentice is ready for end point assessment a meeting will take place involving the apprentice’s line manager, their training adviser and any other appropriate managers from the employer. Apprentices must have achieved a level 2 qualification in English and maths before being entered for their final apprenticeship assessment. Completion of the level 3 qualification will also indicate readiness.
End Point Assessment
- Synoptic project chosen from a bank of themes.
- Interview between the apprentice and independent assessor focusing on the project results and how they have performed during the apprenticeship.
- The apprentice can be awarded a pass or distinction.
“I like how thorough the lesson are, PTP keeps on top of the progress and areas where improvement needs to happen”
Individual employers will set the selection criteria for their apprenticeships – these typically include maths and English GCSE at C/4 or above or equivalent. Click here to view our latest apprentice job vacancies.
Completion of the level 3 qualification enables registration with the GDC as a qualified Dental Nurse. Further training could lead to a range of specialisms. There may also be the opportunity to move to management, which could include the Practice Manager apprenticeship.